Foley’s municipal elections will be held on Aug. 25 at the Foley Event Center, located at 1001 E. Pride Blvd.
Each resident who lives within the Foley city limits will have the opportunity to vote for mayor and the council person who represents their district. The mayor is elected at large, meaning everyone votes for the mayoral position. Council representatives are elected by district, so residents in each district vote for only the council member who will represent their district.
Although some Foley residents vote at other locations for county and general elections, all residents will vote at the Foley Event Center for this municipal election. Municipal elections have been moved to the event center for several reasons. First, it is larger and will allow more room for social distancing. The building is also safer because a UV lighting system is being installed to minimize viruses, molds and bacteria. The commercial-grade system kills approximately 99.9% of pathogens in the air.
District maps are redrawn for each municipal election to ensure that each of Foley’s five districts includes about the same number of residents. As the city grows, sometimes neighborhoods are moved into another district in order to keep the districts balanced. Foley’s districts were redrawn and approved in April of 2020.
A map showing the new districts is available online at www.cityoffoley.org/maps/ Also, the voting district maps are displayed at Foley’s City Hall, Public Library, CDD and the welcome center.
Polls will be open from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m. on Aug. 25, 2020. A run-off election, if necessary, will be held on Oct. 6, 2020.
- July 7, 2020 at 8:00 a.m until July 21, 2020 at 5:00 p.m. Candidate qualifications
- July 26, 2020 Last day to establish residency to vote in the municipal election
- July 28, 2020 First day for a voter to apply for a regular absentee ballot
- August 10, 2020 Last day to register to vote in the municipal election
- August 20, 2020 Last day for a voter to apply for a regular absentee ballot
- August 25, 2020 Election Day – Polls will be open from 7:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m. at the Foley Event Center
- October 6, 2020 Runoff Election (if needed) Polls will be open from 7:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m. at the Foley Event Center