The mission of the Community Development Department is to provide for orderly and controlled growth for its citizenry and to provide superior customer service in matters relating to development. We constantly strive to ensure that all codes, ordinances and other regulations are met for the health, safety and well-being of Foley citizens.
The Community Development Department deals with day-to-day as well as long-range planning issues. We serve the Planning Commission, the Board of Adjustment and Appeals, the Mayor and City Council, the Construction Board of Adjustment and Appeals, Historic Commission and the citizens of Foley.
Contact: Billie Prado
Location / Mailing Address
120 S McKenzie Street
Foley, AL 36535
Automated Inspection Line
Call 251-970-2331 to schedule an inspection.
Miriam Boutwell, City Planner/Building Official
Chuck Lay, Chief Building Inspector
Doug Hayes, Building Inspector
Deborah Carbajal, Building Inspector
Nathan Smith, Building Inspector
Patsy Benton, Permit Clerk
Billie Prado, Secretary/Office Assistant
Victoria Strickland, Administrative Assistant
Building Code Ordinance
What will I need to obtain a permit?
We offer a Contractors Packet that lists items needed for processing the application. See Contractors Packets above for your permit type.
What will the permit cost be?
The Inspections Division follows a pre-determined fee schedule. See Fee Schedule above for your permit type.
How long will it take to process the application?
The time frame varies according to complexity of the project. On average it is seven to ten days. You will be notified when the permit is ready and may be picked up.
How much time is needed to schedule an inspection?
We prefer at least a 24-hour notice for scheduling inspections.
Application for Permit to Develop in a Special Flood Hazard Area
Am I in a floodplain?
Application for Flood Determination Letter
National Flood Insurance Program/floodsmart
Chuck Lay, Building Inspector (for the application process)
Melissa Ringler, Planning & Zoning Coordinator (for Historical Meeting Information)
The Foley Historical Commission was established to oversee the Local Historic District. The duties of the commission include approving changes to the façade of buildings within the district and recommending additional properties to the City Council that demonstrate the historical significance for inclusion. The commission meets on the second Tuesday of every month to consider applications.
If your building is located within the Historic District and you need to make a change to the exterior, please fill out the Application for a Certificate of Appropriateness below and return it to Community Development. Staff is available to answer any questions you might have. Certain routine maintenance and other improvements may be approved by staff. Other more involved changes will be considered at a regularly scheduled meeting of the Foley Historical Commission.
Local Downtown Historic District and National Register Historic District Map
Foley Downtown Historic District Design Guidelines
2020 Meeting Schedule
Application for Certificate of Appropriateness
Facade Improvement Incentive Grant Program Guidelines and Application
Miriam Boutwell, City Planner/Building Official
Melissa Ringler, Planning and Zoning Coordinator
Amanda Cole, Planning and Zoning Assistant
Planning Commission application forms
Planning Commission deadline schedule 2020
Preliminary Subdivision Request
Minor Subdivision Request
Exempt Subdivision Request
Checklist/Application for Final Subdivision
Board of Adjustment and Appeals application forms
Board of Adjustment and Appeals deadline schedule 2020
Board of Adjustment and Appeals Application
How do I determine my zoning district?
To determine the zoning district, confirmation of your location – such as a tax parcel identification number, for example – is needed.
What is allowed in a particular zoning district? What am I allowed to build?
The allowed uses vary depending on your zoning district. The Zoning Ordinance contains uses allowed, setbacks, area requirements and other information relating to the zoning district.
What size sign am I permitted to have?
Signage is determined by zoning district, which is based on your physical location. The Zoning Ordinance contains Sign Regulations.
What is needed to subdivide my property?
It varies based on the type of subdivision requested. The Subdivision Regulations contain information related to the process and requirements. The Engineering Department can answer specific questions regarding which application is appropriate. Planning Commission applications and deadline schedules are available on the website.
City of Foley Remote Video & Photograph Inspection Policy
The purpose of the City of Foley Remote Video Inspection & Photograph Program is to provide an alternative for eligible inspections, including limited re-inspections. The Remote Video program requires the customer to use the Skype app or Google Hangouts on a minimum 4G smart or WiFi connected phone or tablet in order to interact with the City Inspector.
The Remote Video inspection process shall include:
- Scheduling of remote video inspection via firstname.lastname@example.org;
- City Inspector will initiate a Skype or Google Hangout call to the customer;
- Inspector will direct customer to send video images of work to be inspected;
- Inspector has the ability to decide if the video is acceptable and in some cases may override and require a site visit if not comfortable;
- Inspection results will be emailed / texted to the superintendent.
Building Permits (including minor re-inspections)
- Building Footing
- Building Slab
- Sheathing & Above Porches and Garage
- Above Porches & Garage
- Partial Framing
- Above Ceiling
- Building Final
Plumbing / Gas Permits (including minor re-inspections)
- Plumbing Underground
- Plumbing Rough / Water Vents
- Plumbing Water Pressure
- Plumbing Final
Electrical Permits (including minor re-inspections)
- Contractors Power Pole
- Rough Walls & Ceiling
- Temporary Power
- Electrical Final
Mechanical Permits (including minor re-inspections)
- Mechanical Ducts & Dampers
- Mechanical Final
Note: If for any reason the Inspector is not able to complete the inspection via the Remote Video Program, every effort will be made to route a field Inspector to complete the inspection as soon as possible. This program is a privilege and each Inspector has the discretion and authority to determine if a situation or condition is not conducive to a RVI.
The Photograph inspection process shall include:
- Roof decking
- Roof Underlayment
- Wall sheathing
- Brick ties
- House wrap
- Truss Repairs
- Other structural repairs
- Small footings
- Sign Finals
- Small sewer pipe runs
- Assorted small inspection corrections
- 4G Wireless service or strong WiFi (preferred)
Ensure inspection location and smart phone or tablet has a minimum 4G connectivity.
- Skype Account
An active Skype account with a Skype “name” for performing inspection.
- Google Hangouts
The City will send a calendar invite with a specific day/time for Google Hangouts inspections.
- Prepare for inspection
Prior to scheduled inspection time, ensure all necessary tools based on type of inspection are readily available. For example, tape measure, level, GFCI tester, flashlight, step ladder, etc.
- Click here to schedule the inspection. Need link to email@example.com
Inspection must be schedule prior to 6:00 AM on the requested date. Important: Notes must be provided in the Inspection Request specifying this is a RVI request, along with the desired platform, and the Skype Name number must be provided.
- Prepare to receive the Skype call
- Must be at least 18 years old or with an adult to perform the video inspection.
- Must be an employee of the Licensed Contractor, or the Property Owner if the project is permitted under the Owner-Builder provisions.
- Ensure smart phone or tablet is fully charged.
- Be prepared to accept video call at scheduled time.
- Respond to Skype call from Inspector.
- Have all required tools and installation instructions as necessary for inspection.
- Turn off notifications that may interrupt the call. This is an important step, because notifications can freeze Skype and will cause delays to the inspection and a possible failed inspection.
- Use ear buds with a microphone to improve communication.
- Set phone so that you have the small screen view of what the inspector sees.
- For Skype:
- Tap the Skype screen to access the tool bar.
- Tap the camera icon.
- In the small view the inspector sees, tap the reverse camera icon. Start inspection
- Begin inspection at street view looking at the structure.
- The address must be shown in the initial view
- Provide a copy of the Permit and Notice of Commencement at the Inspector’s request
- Follow the direction of the inspector.
- Walk inspection in a clockwise direction horizontally then bottom to top vertically (if more than one floor)
- Make notes of any corrections.
- Inspection results
- Inspector will inform you if the inspection receives a pass, partial, incomplete, or fail.
- The inspector will update the permitting system with the results at the completion of the RVI call.
City of Foley Interactive Map
City of Foley Contact List for Developers/Contractors
CDD Monthly Report – February 2019
CDD Monthly Report – March 2019
CDD Monthly Report – April 2019
CDD Monthly Report – May 2019
CDD Monthly Report – June 2019
CDD Monthly Report – July 2019
CDD Monthly Report – August 2019
CDD Monthly Report – September 2019
CDD Monthly Report – October 2019
CDD Monthly Report – November 2019
CDD Monthly Report – December 2019
CDD Monthly Report – January 2020
CDD Monthly Report – February 2020