Community Development

The mission of the Community Development Department is to provide for orderly and controlled growth for its citizenry and to provide superior customer service in matters relating to development. We constantly strive to ensure that all codes, ordinances and other regulations are met for the health, safety and well-being of Foley citizens.

The Community Development Department deals with day-to-day as well as long-range planning issues. We serve the Planning Commission, the Board of Adjustment and Appeals, the Mayor and City Council, the Construction Board of Adjustment and Appeals, Historic Commission and the citizens of Foley.

Contact: Billie Prado
251-952-4011 (phone)
251-943-6903 (fax)

Location / Mailing Address
120 S McKenzie Street
Foley, AL  36535


251-952-4011 (phone)
251-943-6903 (fax)

Automated Inspection Line
Call 251-970-2331 to schedule an inspection.

Miriam Boone, City Planner/Building Official

Chuck Lay, Chief Building Inspector

Doug Hayes, Building Inspector

Nathan Smith, Building Inspector

Travis Smith, Building Inspector

Gene Williamson, Building Inspector

Patsy Benton, Permit Clerk

Billie Prado, Administrative Assistant

Tiffany Schoen, Administrative Assistant

Adopted Codes
Building Code Ordinance

Permit Fees
Fee Schedule

Impact Fees
Impact Fee Ordinance

Online Portal

City of Foley Contact List for Developers/Contractors

What will the permit cost be?
The Inspections Division follows a pre-determined fee schedule. See Fee Schedule above for your permit type.

How long will it take to process the application?
The time frame varies according to complexity of the project. On average it is seven to ten days. You will be notified when the permit is ready and may be picked up.

How much time is needed to schedule an inspection?
We prefer at least a 24-hour notice for scheduling inspections.


251-952-4011 (phone)
251-943-6903 (fax)


Nathan Smith, Building Inspector

Chuck Lay, Chief Building Inspector


Melissa Ringler, Planning & Zoning Coordinator


The Foley Historical Commission was established to oversee the Local Downtown Historic District. The duties of the commission include approving changes to the façade of buildings within the district and recommending additional properties to the City Council that demonstrate the historical significance for inclusion.

If your building is located within the Historic District and you need to make a change to the exterior, please fill out the Application for a Certificate of Appropriateness below and return it to Community Development. Staff is available to answer any questions you might have. Certain routine maintenance and other improvements may be approved by staff. Other more involved changes will be considered at a regularly scheduled meeting of the Foley Historical Commission.

The Façade Improvement Incentive Grant is also available in the National Register Historic District and the Main Street District.  Please see map below to identify your property.


Local Downtown Historic District and National Register Historic District Map
Main Street District Map
Foley Downtown Historic District Design Guidelines
Façade Grant Guidelines
2024 Meeting Schedule
Ordinance 1197-12
Detailed instructions for applying via Citizenserve (HC Application Instructions)

Applications for Certificate of Appropriateness and Facade Improvement Incentive Grant can be found on our online portal (Citizenserve).

251-952-4011 (phone)
251-943-6903 (fax)

Miriam Boone, City Planner/Building Official

Eden Lapham, Planner 1

Melissa Ringler, Planning and Zoning Coordinator

Amanda Cole, Planning and Zoning Assistant

All Planning and Zoning, Planning Commission and Board of Adjustment and Appeals applications can be found on our online portal (Citizenserve).

Planning Commission
Planning Commission deadline schedule 2024

Board of Adjustment and Appeals
Board of Adjustment and Appeals deadline schedule 2024

Comprehensive Land Use/Growth Plan
Roadway System Report
Foley Forward Plan
Comprehensive Land Use/Growth Plan
Bicycle & Pedestrian Plan

Additional Resources
Zoning Ordinance of the City of Foley
Comprehensive Land Use/Growth Plan
Fiscal Year 2022/2023 Annual Report

How do I determine my zoning district?
To determine the zoning district, confirmation of your location – such as a tax parcel identification number, for example – is needed.

What is allowed in a particular zoning district? What am I allowed to build?
The allowed uses vary depending on your zoning district. The Zoning Ordinance contains uses allowed, setbacks, area requirements and other information relating to the zoning district.

What size sign am I permitted to have?
Signage is determined by zoning district, which is based on your physical location. The Zoning Ordinance contains Sign Regulations.

What is needed to subdivide my property?
It varies based on the type of subdivision requested. The Subdivision Regulations contain information related to the process and requirements. The Engineering Department can answer specific questions regarding which application is appropriate. Planning Commission applications and deadline schedules are available on the website.

City of Foley Remote Video & Photograph Inspection Policy

The purpose of the City of Foley Remote Video Inspection & Photograph Program is to provide an alternative for eligible inspections, including limited re-inspections.  The Remote Video program requires the customer to use the Skype app or Google Hangouts on a minimum 4G smart or WiFi connected phone or tablet in order to interact with the City Inspector.

The Remote Video inspection process shall include:

  • Scheduling of remote video inspection via;
  • City Inspector will initiate a Skype or Google Hangout call to the customer;
  • Inspector will direct customer to send video images of work to be inspected;
  • Inspector has the ability to decide if the video is acceptable and in some cases may override and require a site visit if not comfortable;
  • Inspection results will be emailed / texted to the superintendent.

Eligible Projects

Building Permits (including minor re-inspections)

  • Building Footing
  • Building Slab
  • Sheathing & Above Porches and Garage
  • Above Porches & Garage
  • Partial Framing
  • Above Ceiling
  • Building Final

Plumbing / Gas Permits (including minor re-inspections)

  • Plumbing Underground
  • Sewer
  • Plumbing Rough / Water Vents
  • Plumbing Water Pressure
  • Plumbing Final

Electrical Permits (including minor re-inspections)

  • Contractors Power Pole
  • Rough Walls & Ceiling
  • Temporary Power
  • Electrical Final

Mechanical Permits (including minor re-inspections)

  • Mechanical Ducts & Dampers
  • Mechanical Final

Note:  If for any reason the Inspector is not able to complete the inspection via the Remote Video Program, every effort will be made to route a field Inspector to complete the inspection as soon as possible.  This program is a privilege and each Inspector has the discretion and authority to determine if a situation or condition is not conducive to a RVI.  

The Photograph inspection process shall include:

  • Roof decking
  • Roof Underlayment
  • Wall sheathing
  • Brick ties
  • House wrap
  • Truss Repairs
  • Other structural repairs
  • Small footings
  • Sign Finals
  • Small sewer pipe runs
  • Assorted small inspection corrections


  1. 4G Wireless service or strong WiFi (preferred)
    Ensure inspection location and smart phone or tablet has a minimum 4G connectivity.
  2. Skype Account
    An active Skype account with a Skype “name” for performing inspection.
  3. Google Hangouts
    The City will send a calendar invite with a specific day/time for Google Hangouts inspections.
  4. Prepare for inspection
    Prior to scheduled inspection time, ensure all necessary tools based on type of inspection are readily available.  For example, tape measure, level, GFCI tester, flashlight, step ladder, etc.
  5. Click here to schedule the inspection.  Need link to
    Inspection must be schedule prior to 6:00 AM on the requested date.  Important: Notes must be provided in the Inspection Request specifying this is a RVI request, along with the desired platform, and the Skype Name number must be provided.
  6. Prepare to receive the Skype call
    • Must be at least 18 years old or with an adult to perform the video inspection.
    • Must be an employee of the Licensed Contractor, or the Property Owner if the project is permitted under the Owner-Builder provisions.
    • Ensure smart phone or tablet is fully charged.
    • Be prepared to accept video call at scheduled time.
    • Respond to Skype call from Inspector.
    • Have all required tools and installation instructions as necessary for inspection.
    • Turn off notifications that may interrupt the call. This is an important step, because notifications can freeze Skype and will cause delays to the inspection and a possible failed inspection.
    • Use ear buds with a microphone to improve communication.
    • Set phone so that you have the small screen view of what the inspector sees.
    • For Skype:
      • Tap the Skype screen to access the tool bar.
      • Tap the camera icon.
      • In the small view the inspector sees, tap the reverse camera icon. Start inspection
      • Begin inspection at street view looking at the structure.
      • The address must be shown in the initial view
      • Provide a copy of the Permit and Notice of Commencement at the Inspector’s request
      • Follow the direction of the inspector.
      • Walk inspection in a clockwise direction horizontally then bottom to top vertically (if more than one floor)
      • Make notes of any corrections.
  7. Inspection results
    • Inspector will inform you if the inspection receives a pass, partial, incomplete, or fail.
    • The inspector will update the permitting system with the results at the completion of the RVI call.

Are there any requirements for container buildings (buildings made from shipping containers)?

  • If built out off-site it shall be considered modular and require state approval (Alabama Manufactured Housing Commission, modular division). The building department will only permit and inspect the foundation and outside elements such as the electrical, plumbing and sewer hook-ups. For a permit, state approved plans are also required.
  • If built out on-site it shall be treated as any other new construction and along with the basic plans, engineering design/approval on the loads and possibly, energy calculations will be required.
  • If built on a mobile frame, it will have to meet department of transportation standards and not have any permanent utility connections

As a builder/homeowner, how do I meet the International Residential Code’s thermal and ignition barrier requirements when using spray polyurethane foam in an attic and/or crawl space?

  • Thermal Barrier:  All polyurethane spray foams require a code-approved thermal barrier— ordinarily a layer of ½” drywall—between the foam and the living space (IRC R316.4). The thermal barrier is designed to make it more difficult for a fire inside the living space to gain access to the fresh source of fuel in the spray foam, leaving the home’s occupants with more time to escape.  Luckily, most ceiling assemblies in residential houses qualify as a code-approved thermal barrier — separating between the foam and the living space.
  • Ignition Barrier.  Builders/ Homeowners have three options for attic and crawlspace use:
    • they can combine any spray foam with a prescriptive barrier;
    • use an approved combination of foam and intumescent coating,
    • or choose a foam that has been tested and approved by the ICC-ES test without any protective barrier.

For more information on Ignition Barriers please reference this document on International Residential Code’s thermal and ignition barrier requirements.

What are the requirements for Mobile Vending?

  • Can receive a temporary 6 month permit only, after 6 months it shall be removed or re-permitted as a new business and meet the codes as such. (not required if removed daily)
  • A site plan is required.
  • If located in the city’s historical district, it shall first have to receive approval from the historical commission.
  • It can only be plugged into power, water or sewer with a removable connection and not hard wired or piped or it shall be self contained.
  • Land owner’s permission is required.
  • Proper licenses shall be maintained.
  • County health department approval is required when appropriate.
  • Fire department food vendor requirements shall be followed and inspected

What are the requirements for residential swimming pools, spas and hot tubs?

What should I expect when wanting to relocate a house into Foley?

  • The building shall be safe for occupancy by meeting the requirements of the international property maintenance code. (iebc 1301.2)
  • A change of occupancy type shall require full compliance with the international existing building code. (iebc 1301.2)
  • Any new elements added to the structure shall comply with the international residential code. (iebc 1301.2)
  • The location on the lot shall meet the setback requirements for zoning and the international residential code. (iebc 1302.1)
  • The foundation and connection to the structure shall meet the requirements of the international residential code and be engineered by a design professional. (iebc 1302.2/ordinance)
  • The structure shall meet international residential code wind load requirements with any corrections engineered by a design professional. (iebc 1302.3/ordinance)
  • The structure shall be inspected and verified after the move for structural component stability by a professional engineer. (iebc 1302.7/ordinance)
  • Electrical, mechanical and plumbing elements are not required to be retrofitted unless they are found to be unsafe or not ready for connection to services. (iebc)
  • To receive a permit a site plan of the new location is required along with the permit application.
  • All of the other requirements, listed above, shall be provided and inspected before electrical power and occupancy are allowed.
  • It is the mover’s responsibility to check will other agencies for the actual moving process.

What are the requirements for commercial tents/membrane structures?

  • Can be permitted for up to 14 days and up to 12 times per calendar year with a minimum of 2 weeks between each permit period. The 2 week period between permits may be waived if the membrane structure is being used in conjunction with a permanently occupied business for a special event not lasting longer than 8 weeks.
  • It shall be used on the same lot as the permanent structure it serves.
  • To obtain a permit, a site plan and proof of fire rating is required.
  • Residential membrane structures/tents do not require permits.
  • Structures are also subject to fire department regulations, approval and inspection.