FOLEY – Foley City Council members will discuss plans to allow the Baldwin County Library Cooperative, which has not had a home for several months, to use space in the municipal library when the council meets Monday, March 6.
The lease agreement with Baldwin County is one item on the agenda for the City Council Work Session and Meeting, which begins at 4 p.m. at Foley City Hall.
The cooperative had operated in the Baldwin County annex in Robertsdale for about 20 years. The BCLC moved to a leased building in Loxley in December 2021. In July, the commission voted to cancel that lease citing problems with the condition of the building.
In December 2022, the city of Foley offered the Baldwin County Commission space in the city library for use by the BCLC.
The cooperative coordinates a loan program in which the 13 public libraries across Baldwin County exchange books and other materials. The BCLC has also operated a county Bookmobile program.
Under the lease agreement, Foley would provide about 1,000 square feet of space for the cooperative and parking spaces for the Bookmobile and loan program courier vehicle.
Another project on the agenda is a repair project to reduce flooding on the north side of County 12 near Cottages on the Green.
A section of drainage pipe collapsed, which causes the road to flood during rains and creates a safety hazard. The Public Works Department is asking for permission to put the project out for bid and for funding for the work.
Other items on the March 6 Foley agenda include:
- Discussion of the city of Foley’s Popular Annual Financial Report presented by the city’s Financial Division. The PAFR is intended as user-friendly summary of the city’s financial operations. The report is designed to make city finances easier to understand and to communicate to citizens where city funds come from and how the money is spent.
- Annexing property on Clarke Ridge Road between County 12 South and County 20. The property is owned by David Green.
- Approval of an ABC restaurant retail liquor license for Bougie Bamas at 110 South Alston Street.
- Approval of an ABC special events retail liquor license for the 2023 Mudbugs and Margaritas Festival at 200 North McKenzie Street.
- Approval of an ABC special events retail liquor license for La Parilla Express Y Taquria at 14338 Magnolia Creek Drive.
- Waiving the fees for the use of Heritage Park and Pavillion for the Foley Kiwanis Poker Run on Saturday, May 6.
- Appointing a voting delegate for the Alabama League of Municipalities annual Business Session.
- Approval of sponsorship for the South Alabama Land Trust Bald Eagle Bash. The annual fundraiser is scheduled April 29 at the Tonsmeire Weeks Bay Resource Center.
- Adding a signatory to the court checking accounts.
- Approval of an application for the 2023 Dollar General Grant for Youth Literacy.
- Appointing Gregg Knight to the Board of Adjustments and Appeals.
- Appointing Gary Hellmich to the Board of Adjustments and Appeals.
- Buying four dehumidifiers for the Justice Center. The total cost of the purchase is $12,966.76.
- Making a one-time payment of $3,200 to support the Foley High School girls basketball team. The team traveled to Birmingham to play in the state semi-final tournament on March 2.
- Appointing Bill Swanson to the Historic Commission.
- Approval of the Foley Public Library’s use of matured CD funds.
- Waiving fees for the use of Heritage Park for the second-annual NAACP Stop the Gun Violence Rally on March 25.