FOLEY – Municipal zoning for the area of Mills annexed into Foley is one of the items on the City Council agenda for Tuesday, Jan. 2.
The council work session and meeting will begin at 4 p.m. at Foley City Hall. The date for the first meeting in January was changed from Monday to Tuesday due to the New Year’s holiday.
Mills residents voted in August to allow their community to be annexed into Foley. Since then, city officials have met with residents to discuss how the area will be zoned.
Under a plan approved by the Foley Planning Commission, property in Mills that has been developed as residential would be zoned R-4, single family and duplex residential. Areas that have not been developed would be zoned A-O, agricultural, open space.
The annexed area is about 170 acres in size.
The council is also scheduled to vote on zoning for a new city park in the annexed area of Mills. The 4-acre park site would be zoned OSP, open space, preservation district.
Other items on the council agenda for Tuesday include:
- A public hearing on an ordinance to rezone property owned by SCP BPG Magnolia Holdings.
- A presentation by State Rep. Frances Holk Jones.
- Declaring January as Human Trafficking Awareness Month.
- Rezoning property owned by SCP BPG Magnolia Holdings.
- Approving a special events alcohol license for the Gumbo and Alabama Slammer Festival. The event is scheduled for Jan. 27 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. at 200 North McKenzie St.
- Approving the purchase of a Ford F-150 pickup truck for the Municipal Complex.
- Transferring funds from the Nature Parks to Environmental funds to pay cost differences for vehicle purchases.
- Waiving the fees at Heritage Park for a Walk for Life Walk-A-Thon fundraiser for the Women’s Care Medical Center.
- Approving the purchase of a zero-turn mower for the Parks and Recreation Department.
- Increasing funding for the South Pecan Street extension road construction project.
- Allowing the Jehovah Witness Community to use an area of Max Griffin Park to display free Bible-based literature.
- Approving a bond change order with the Alabama Department of Transportation for the Juniper Street extension project.
- Appropriating funds for the installation of replacement lights for the North McKenzie Street pedestrian bridge.
- Discuss a resolution approving the location for a new Symbol Clinic in Foley. The council will also discuss a purchase or lease option for the site and approving GeoCon’s professional services proposal for soil boring and testing.
- Replacing the rotted wood siding and encapsulating the foundation for the Foley Arts Center-Peteet Building.
- Amending the pay classification for the Senior Center.
- Approving Volkert Associates professional services proposal for the Mills Community Pedestrian Improvement Project.
- Approving a change order for the Public Works campus civil site package contract to remove the electrical conduit scope out of the building bid package and adding it to Ammons and Blackmon
- Setting a public hearing to consider the initial zoning of property owned by the city of Foley.
- Approving Volkert Associates professional services proposal for the Wetland Delineation Project.
- Setting a public hearing to consider the initial zoning of property in the Mills Community.
- Amending the capital purchase account for the 2023 fiscal year for approved items that were not completed.
- Renewing the agreement with the Alabama Department of Corrections Loxley Work Center for inmate labor.
- Declaring the badge and service weapon of a retiring police office surplus.
- Authorizing an economic development agreement between the city of Foley and Select Site Ventures.
- Authorizing an economic development agreement between the city of Foley and IRH Foley..
- Authorizing an economic development agreement between the city of Foley and Magnolia Meat and Grocery.
- Transferring funds from the Fire Department capital fund to operating.